Friday, September 3, 2010

Quick update !

I've been quite busy this week !

First of all, I had to find a customs agent to take care of customs clearance on the car.
I contacted about 5 medium-to-large size companies in WA asking for quotes and when the quotes arrived they were all so different it was virtually impossible to compare them side by side. Items such as customs clearance, port charges, port handling, wharf charges, quarantinee entry fees etc etc were just all so different I picked 2 agents I felt gave me the most descriptive quotes and decided to pick their brains in an effort to understand what all their fees were about. In the end it came down to Indian Ocean Shipping Agents in South Fremantle who won the tender !

I sent all my docs to them earlier this week and they took care of pre-clearing the vehicle for customs and hopefully (fingers crossed) helping in reducing the duty and taxes payable. We won't know though until the car arrives next wednesday but at least there is hope !

Second item on the week's agenda was getting insurance quotes.
Again I picked 3 larger insurance companies such as RAC, HBF and SHANNONS but right from the get go RAC refused to insure an imported car (what !?), HBF and SHANNONS however had no issues and came back with what I thought were very good quotes. I'm leaning towards SHANNONS for their JDM friendly nature.

And lastly I wanted to understand what kind of compliance work had to be done on the car. Still figuring this one out but I know at least I don't need to change the fuel filler anymore.

5 days to go !

2 comments:

  1. RAC.
    Of course they'd refuse mate. Only interested in Barinas and commodores driven by 50 year olds that don't drive and never claim.

    Make sure you get agreed value.
    Shannons are the only company I'd recommend for modified car insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh Shannons are the winners ! Their agreed value is decent and if I provide photos of all the extras they will insure it for more. But I am thinking Third Party insurance might be the way to go in the end...we'll see

    ReplyDelete