Saturday, May 14, 2011

Winter is upon us !

I caught a pretty bad cold and I feel like s#it so in absence of anything better to do here is a quick update...

RAC DRIVING CENTRE

Yesterday I went out to the RAC Driving Centre (see earlier posts) to watch their friday's tuning session.
The weather was nice and about 11-12 cars showed up. Majority of the cars were stock standard with an exception of 3 cars which I had seen before at Barbagallo. Makes were ranging from FIAT, BMW, Nissan, Subaru, Holden and others so it was interesting to watch them negotiate the course and individual drivers' different driving styles.

The course seemed fairly easy and relatively low-medium speed. A few of the drivers I could tell had good driving skills by watching their approach to one of the hairpins, others were in desperate need of some tuition. All in all each driver got about 1-2mins to cover 2 laps before the next car's turn to enter the course. At times they allowed more than 1 car at the same time.

By chatting with some of the guys I gathered this tuning session was their prep before this Sunday's actual event held at this location but extended to the full course meaning road and gymhkana areas. If my head stops hurting I might drive out there and watch them.

ENGINE OIL

Yesterday I also took delivery of my new batch of MOTUL 300V engine oil.


There is something different about this one though ! Can you tell what it is ?
This time I went for 5w-30 as opposed to 10w-40. From previous experience I learnt that 5w-30 being thinner will enhance car's acceleration but at the same time will not protect the engine as well as the 10w-40. It is a compromise I am willing to accept.

The price $48/2L bottle (retails at $57.99)

TIME ATTACK RESULTS

I've been getting a few emails recently asking me why I was so confident in saying that after beating my best time there was usually another 1 or 2 seconds to be slashed. Here is how I see it ....

"If your improvements between best laps are in the vicinity of 1s there is a high probability you will again be able to improve by at most or around 1s. If however your recent improvements are consistently yielding perhaps 0.5s or even less well that's when you'll know you're extracting the maximum and unless you upgrade something or improve your driving style dramatically there is a very low probability of improving by 1s."

Hope that explains my "confidence". Come to think of it next improvement will probably be the last of those 1s ones

- Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment