Wednesday, May 4, 2011

REDLINE shockproof lightweight gear oil - my thoughts


I just took delivery of the 2nd batch of this gear oil. As you may remember I was a huge fan of OMEGAOIL however since it's not easily available here in Australia together with Ryo from SEEKER's advice I opted for REDLINE lightweight shockproof instead. Here is my short review in the context of DC5's manual transmission.

First of all, the oil performs VERY well. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to change gears under various track conditions (both cool and very hot weather conditions!). Whilst changing down from 4th to 3rd and down to 2nd, I never experienced any gear crunching nor slippage. In fact a lot of people here told me it was common for a gear to "slip out" when using this oil but again this has never happened to me. Under very hot engine / gearbox conditions changes were smooth, direct and controllable. It's very much comparable to OMEGAOIL.

Secondly, it isn't a good oil when you start the car up on a cold day and drive it for the first 5-10mins. It is difficult to change gears until such point that oil is warmed up to its proper operating temperature. That I guess is to be expected, although not the case if you have the original Honda MTF.

I drove about 2,000kms with this oil, 4 tuning days and now it's time for a change. Not because the gearbox is calling for it but because I want to pre-emptively continue on preserving it.

Highly recommended ! AUD$25 per bottle. If you want more info i'll send you the details of my eBay supplier !

- Rod

2 comments: