Friday, December 3, 2010

Something had to give

Since about 4 months ago I've been hearing very faint "clicking" sounds coming from the front whenever I accelerated from a standstill or whenever the car was reversed and then moved forward. When I was in Japan I mentioned this to my mechanics from SEEKER who checked for unusual play in the hubs/joints as well as checked for a possibility of a cracked suspension spring. Needles to say it was neither at the time and I didn't bother with the issue again. However since recently this sound has become increasingly louder and now it seems like something is seriously wrong with the car.

After some research and talking to a few people I believe it's caused by one of 2 things:

Firstly, it could be a bad CV joint which is the most likely reason (in my mind). Can't tell if it's the inner or outer and can't truly say if it's on the left or the right side of the car. I can reproduce this sound when I drive slowly in 1st gear and "jerk" the car forward and back or when I reverse into a driveway which is on a hill. Driving the car in a circle in reverse doesn't exhibit the issue though.

Another possible reason for this could be a damaged wheel bearing and/or wheel hub. I briefly spoke with a local mechanic here in Perth who thinks this is the most likely cause but wants to disassemble the hubs to confirm his diagnosis (which he wants $100/hr for).

So it looks like this is going to put a stop to my circuit time attacks until the issue is resolved. I don't know whether I'll need to get new driveshafts, perhaps recondition the old ones, buy a new wheel bearing and/or wheel hub but the fact of the matter is I can't drive the car beyond light every day driving and depending on what the problem is I may need to wait a while for parts to arrive before the problem can be fixed.

More to come ....

-Rod

4 comments:

  1. I had a simalar issue with my last project car, EM1 with JDM B18c type R engine. I of the barings in the CV joint on drivers side inner had 'exploded' for lack of a better word.. clicking sound got louder and louder! Went to Driveline services in QLD and they removed both drive shafts and rebuilt and repacked all CV joints, I advied car was for track use, and they also transfered ABS rings and reinstalled. total cost $353.00. Would allow abit more for the DC5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rod, Ihave been following your blog for a very long time and have to say what a great blog.

    If you are looking for some information on your problem try the URL below there are some great people on there with alot of info race prepared DC5. It is mainly Uk input but we do have some aussie guys on there as well.

    Hope this was of some help. Good luck sorting this out. Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry forgot to add URL: http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey i got the same problem with my DC5...the clicking sound is especially loud when the road is wet or when it is raining....

    The sound is coming from either front or rear and it happens when the car is moving from standstill...

    ReplyDelete