Friday, December 10, 2010

The mystery sound continues ...

Today I took the car to Race Torque Engineering in Wangarra to get to the bottom of where that noise was coming from.

The guys lifted my car and checked for wheel bearing noises (there were none), excessive hub wear (none), checked for excessive lower arm bush wear (all were fine), inspected suspension upper mounts, dampers and rings for any looseness (all were fine). They also suspected that the noise could be coming from the pads or even a loose caliper itself but all nuts and bolts were tight as expected and they even removed the pads to eliminate pad travel from the equation.

So what's causing this ??

All fingers pointed to the left, outer CV joint but here is the caveat...it happens in a straight line only and not when turning...which is very unlike a CV joint !



After about an hour or so of trying to find the culprit we concluded that it is the CV joint.

Honda Australia charges over $600 for a single CV joint, ridicilous ! So this afternoon I called one of the Honda dealers in Japan and asked about the prices. Get ready for this ! A whole left driveshaft is $500, a single CV joint which comes with a clamp ring is only $200, the boot with a clamp ring just $40 ! Guess where I am getting my parts from ?

- Rod

2 comments:

  1. Seems like it all the same in Pacific for OEM parts price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod. I have been reading your blog for a long time now, and have enjoy living through your experiences. I have always wanted to go and live in Japan, and Hopefully that will come true some day soon. I actually live in Jamaica, where I have a performance shop with a friend. We only have one good tarmac track which is Dover Raceway.

    I own an Ek civic which I prepared for the track, but sadly was Written off by a friend driving it down to the track for me.

    You have inspired me to start my own blog soon. Hopefully you will be a subscriber one day. Cheers.

    BTW.. Where's the updates.. It's the Second week in January already.

    ReplyDelete