Sunday, July 17, 2011

Go karting in Perth !

Last saturday together with a friend of mine we drove down to Cockburn International Raceway to take part in 2x15 minutes go kart sessions.

This place is actually one of the nicest scenic areas south of perth overlooking the Indian Ocean but it was the track that made the BIGGEST impression !

First of all, this is one of the BEST go-kart tracks I've been on ! I know it's a pretty bold statement but there are reasons for it. It has a wide array of different types of corners, it's constantly up-n-down in terms of elevation, it has a very nice back straight with a very fast right hand sweeper (in a clockwise configuration), the track is clean with plenty of run-off (which I dont recommend unless you're willing to part ways with your deposit), a constantly changing camber and a proper style pit lane (pictured above).

The karts are fast, reliable, tyres are in a very good condition and overall very well maintained.

This was my 2nd visit to the track and it couldn't have been any sooner. My friend and I had a few very fast chases around the circuit with a lot of bumper to bumper racing. Unfortunately for us, the earlier part of the session had us battle a slightly wet and cold circuit and so I ended up spinning a few times but the real fun was battling with grip, correcting oversteer and soaking up excees fuel droplets from the kart in front.

In the 2nd part of the day we had 4 amateur racers on the track and so it was great having to negotiate our way around them despite us having to fight against each other as well.

I give this circuit a 9/10. The karts are in a very good condition and differ only very slightly in setup and performance unlike go-karts at many other tracks which are underperforming, sometimes faulty and slow. The track is very technical and physically demanding (especially if you have long legs like me), but it's very very well designed and maintained and obviously it wouldn't be of an international standard if it wasn't.

Oh and my friend and I are now hooked so the next natural step is to buy and race a private kart. Stay tuned !

- Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment