Thursday, March 3, 2011

Finally we have some long awaited progress !!

This morning the car went back to Race Torque for Take 2 (see earlier post (and this))...

As you might remember the plan was to replace the left wheel bearing and optionally the wheel hub and seeing whether that solves the noise problem.

Well, after almost 2 hours the mechanic came back to me with a "I'm so glad you got a new wheel hub because here is the problem ...". It turned out that the bearing was ever so slightly rubbing against the old wheel hub assembly resulting in some systematic wear. When the car was driven forward and in reverse the bearing would slide against the hub resulting in clunky, metalic noises. That's it ! Simple huh yet very difficult to diagnose !

Anyway after they replaced all the parts the car is now back to normal ! Not a single odd sound ! What a relief ! This also means I can book my next track day at Barbagallo !!! FINALLY !!!

Oh and I have a tiny leak from the [edit] rocker cover head gasket. Nothing significant but something I should look into in the upcoming months. I remember when I lived in Japan I had an issue with a leak in one of the spark plug cylinders which was replaced by Honda mechanics at the time together with a new gasket seal so I wonder what could have caused the latest leak...

So off to get my track membership for 2011 and stay tuned !

- Rod

2 comments:

  1. You do know we have other motorsport in Perth apart from un-timed Barbagallo's tuning days right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear your back on the road (thumbsup)

    ReplyDelete