Thursday, November 18, 2010

More MOTUL !


I finally got my hands on very inexpensive MOTUL 300V engine oil !
Even cheaper than I was paying for it in Japan ! In fact a 4L bottle cost me just AUD$90 and a 2L bottle only AUD$50. Come to think of it, 1L in Japan was always costing me around Y3,250 which is about AUD$40.
DC5 needs approx. 5.3L so this combination of 4L/2L works perfectly !

Started off by removing the oil sump bolt

To help with flow I lifted the car up in front just a tiny bit

Loosening the oil filter was a challenge!
Access is VERY limited but with the help of an oil filter wrench extension it was a little bit easier.

Crap ! When the filter came off all that oil started spilling out all over the driveshaft and lower frame.

Here is the new filter I brought back with me from Japan
After finishing I took the car for a drive and thoroughly enjoyed it !
Fresh engine oil, fresh transmission fluid and a fresh brake fluid made for a very smooth and fun drive !
Afterwards I checked for leaks and since there were none the car is now ready for a wash and storage until the end of this very hot summer !

- Rod

6 comments:

  1. I've been using 300V for 3 oil changes already, seems that this oil burnt off quite fast, sometime have to top up every week.
    Latest oil change I used Mugen Rev 5W40, no reduction of oil since 2 weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300V does burn more than others especially if the engine is revved through VTEC quite frequently. Whenever I hit the track, I need to top up marginally after 2x30min sessions but otherwise, street driving and all never had to top up at all.
    Don't know much about Mugen so can't comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice car!! Do you use the 300V only for track days or daily as well? I think the heat generated from daily driving is not enough to benefit from 300V's double-ester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both.
    This car is now less of a daily driver than it used to be in Japan though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How often do you change your engine oil?? I found that for daily driving the 300V does not last as long but I have done them on 3 track days and still managed to get constant temperature and pressure readings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every 3 track visits usually
    Not sure what you mean by constant temperature ? It varies on how you drive and weather conditions but max oil temp rarely exceeds 130C

    ReplyDelete